NBFTT Vice President (Technical and Training Support) Ishmael St Bryce, says the NBFTT are surprised and disappointed that they have been suspended by the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee. He further stated the NBFTT did in fact follow the ruling by the TTOC’s Tribunal last year.
In the TTOC’s letter to the NBFTT on Tuesday, they highlighted the NBFTT have failed to comply with the ruling, including reinstating the suspended Keith Clement and Ikenna Joseph. Mr St Bryce however, said the NBFTT did in fact reinstate the two and immediately asked for their resignations. The TTOC were in receipt of a letter informing them of the reinstatement. Mr St Bryce further stated Mr Clement and Mr Joseph both did not resign after 30 days and were called to a hearing as a result. After not appearing at the meeting, they were both expelled. “So we followed the procedure as it is laid out in the constitution. We are satisfied that we followed the constitution” Mr St Bryce stated.
Mr Joseph reiterated the suspension only affects events that come under the auspices of the TTOC, including the Olympics and Commonwealth Games and regional games like Carifta and Pan Am Games. Trinidad and Tobago’s participation in the Centrobasket, CBC and FIBA tournaments are not affected and preparations for these tournaments will continue.